The role is for a Java developer working in the Fixed Income Trading IT team. The candidate will be responsible for the design, implementation, and 2nd level support of large-scale, multi-tiered Electronic Trading systems, primarily for the US Rates business as part of a global team.
The US Fixed Income Trading Technology team focuses on numerous components of the electronic trading application environment. The application stack is primarily built in-house, both locally and in conjunction with the global development team. The US team plays a critical role in adapting and improving the software to meet the needs of the US Rates business. Fixed Income markets continue to move towards higher automation and lower latency of electronic execution.
The team is responsible for a wide range of applications/functions from responding to electronic customer request-for-quote (RFQ) via Tradeweb and Bloomberg, orders, real-time price generation, contribution, and the automated hedging of customer trades. All related execution algos, models, and order management systems fall within this team’s remit.
Given the small team size and the business direction towards automating existing manual processes, significant exposure to the trading desk is expected for the role; this includes 2nd level support when issues or questions arise. Most of the application stack is in Java, although other technologies come into play as well. Flexibility is required. This is an excellent opportunity to play a significant role in the automation and latency reduction efforts of the highly liquid US Treasury bond and USD Interest Rate Swaps markets.
Essential Experience (Must have Skills):
• 3+ years of Java OO server-side (not EJB or Web) development
• 2+ years of FI electronic trading workflow, trade execution strategies and Order Management Systems in the Fixed Income space
• Solid understanding of the fundamentals of vanilla Java programming - Multithreading, OO, distributed computing, message-based architectures.
• Development experience on Spring framework and version control systems like SVN and Git.
• Experienced a structured environment such as software house or large team.
• Application development involving an understanding of the user domain, rather than just implementing technical solutions.
• Proven experience of complete project lifecycle, and exposure to Agile methodologies (Scrum).
• Development experience on a large complex codebase
• Ability to work in a Unix/Linux server environment
Supplementary Experience (Useful additional skills):
• Experience of working and developing software in a real-time environment.
• Familiarity with US Fixed Income trading venues for bonds and futures specifically
• Experience with Improving development practices for team as a whole
• Strong interest in financial products and eager to develop a career in technology in the front office of an investment bank.
• Takes ownership of issues and manages them appropriately.
• Genuine interest in teamwork. Proven record of making improvements for the team as a whole, assisting and working with others and aligning development work with team objectives.
• Understanding that application development is more than purely coding.
• Good communication skills – to work with local Dev/Support teams, business managers, traders, and global Dev/Support teams
It is the policy of NatWest Markets Securities Inc. and its parent, affiliates and/or subsidiaries to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. Equal Opportunity Employer -Disabled/Veteran – review "EEO Is The Law", "EEO is the law- Supplement" & "Pay Transparency Provision" posters here.